Created for families, with help from families.
1. "emergency" button that will text entire family network in case of emergency
2. a closed family network that creates a connective space for important family information to be exchanged (including doctors information and/or other private information)
3. notepad on dashboard where key information can be placed in an impossible-to-miss location that is accessible for the entire family
4. simple layout designed using Apple's Developer guidelines for the cognitively impaired, making all essentials (call, text, reminders) easy to navigate for the person living with dementia
5.remote reminding and calendaring so that the family can help their loved one; reminders for the person living with dementia that can be set by anyone in the family network, and set with “pre-reminder” alerts (ex: 45 minutes before an appointment)
- allows the patient to feel in control and in the loop, empowering them with confidence that their schedule is correct and they are accounted for
- allows the family to monitor their loved one with seeing successful check ins and completed reminders
- reminders can be sent directly to the patient by anyone in the family network, at any time—no more sticky notes!
- keeps everyone in the same loop, regardless of location
- collects important data about the disease, ultimately helping us all get closer to the cure
Frequently Asked Questions
HOW DO I KNOW IF IT IS THE RIGHT TIME TO START USING ALZ YOU NEED?
Whether you/your loved one has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, or some other form of cognitive impairment, it results in a number of of difficult questions. When is it time to start making lifestyle changes? How can one avoid the negative feelings associated with admitting that one is beginning to need a little extra help? All of these questions are extremely sensitive and very dependent on each individual family. Alz You Need was designed as a tool to help the person living with dementia to continue living as normal of a life as possible. We want to encourage the person living with dementia to start using Alz You Need as soon as possible so that they become comfortable with the technology. Ideally, it will then become engrained in their long term memory, which will ultimately allowing them to use it for longer. Thus, as soon as one starts to find that they are missing more appointments than normal or forgetting key details that they normally would not (ex: when one’s child is coming back from college), it is the perfect time to start using Alz You Need. Alz You Need will allow the person living with dementia to organize reminders and important information in a simple way— in one place—to help minimize the clutter of various applications and improve the quality of life.
ARE THERE ANY RISKS OF USING THIS PRODUCT?
Alz You Need is free of charge and all information is both private and secure. There are no risks associated with using Alz You Need. If the family/individual living with dementia decide that the application is not beneficial to communication and daily scheduling, then the family can simply choose to revert to its normal methods of communication.
HOW EXACTLY IS ALZ YOU NEED GOING TO HELP MY FAMILY?
Alz You Need has call, text, and reminder features all in one simple place, rather than being separated like on the iPhone. For individuals living with dementia, this means less clicking around in different applications and less potential losing one's train of thought. For families, Alz You Need makes it easier to keep track of a loved one’s schedule and proactively remind them of things they may regularly forget no matter the distance. Family members can see if their loved one has completed reminders, ensuring their day stays on track. The app also collects key data about the disease and its progression, ultimately helping us all get one step closer to a cure.